When it comes to your drains, fats, oils, and grease are public enemy number one. Though most of us are aware of this fact, we’re all guilty of letting a bit of grease or oil slide down our kitchen sink from time to time. This, however, is a terrible practice because these substances adhere to your pipes and act as a virtual magnet for a buildup of debris. Further, once the oils reach your sewer system, they negatively react with its contents and can lead to blockages in the pipes that move your home sewage to its final destination at a treatment plant. If fats, oils, or grease have left your drains running slow or have clogged your pipes, you need an experienced Boca Raton Plumber.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sites items such as fats, oils, and grease (FOG) as major contributors to sanitary sewer overflows (SSO). In fact, the effects of these byproducts of food preparation can have a variety of effects on your plumbing:
- Fats, oils, and grease can reduce the flow capacity of your pipes, which can lead to slow drains and blockages.
- Fats, oils, and grease can cause complete blockages in your pipes, which can damage the pipes themselves.
- Fats, oils, and grease can lead to sewage backups, which are unsanitary, difficult and expensive to clean and repair, and extremely inconvenient.
Fats, Oils, and Grease
When you consider the fats, oils, and grease that go down your drains, you may think that as long as you’re not pouring bacon fat down the drain, you’re good. There is, however, a lot more to it than that:
- First things first – never EVER pour bacon fat down your drain. All dishes that incorporate any kind of oil (including olive oil, corn oil, vegetable oil, butter, milk, and cream) which is most of the food you prepare, should be kept out of your drain. This includes food items like pasta sauces and salad dressings.Scraps of fatty foods that are left on plates and pans are another no-no.
When it comes to protecting your drains and pipes, it’s important to consider the big picture. Do what you can to eliminate fats, oils, and grease from entering your kitchen sink in the first place. One useful tip is to keep a paper towel by your sink when you’re doing the dishes and wipe the grease from your silverware, cookware, and dishes before you wash them or place them in your dishwasher.
Disposing of Used Fats, Oils, and Grease
Okay, you know not to pour or drop fats, oils, and grease down your sink, but how are you supposed to dispose of it? There is Solid Waste Authority in the Boca Raton area that accepts containers of used oil. In fact, cooking oils are used in the production of biodiesel fuels, which makes recycling an especially good option for restaurants and other commercial endeavors. If recycling is too inconvenient for you, you can pour the used oil into a lidded bottle and throw it in your trash for collection.
The Damage Is Already Done: What Next?
If fats, oils, and grease in your pipes are already causing problems, it’s time to call in the professionals. When it comes to plumbing problems that are caused by fats, oils, and grease, you need the big guns of hydrojetting. Hydorjetting is a professional plumbing service that sprays a high-powered jet of water through your pipes that clears away buildups, blockages, and grime in one fell swoop.
The Advantages of Hydrojetting
There are multiple advantages associated with professional hydrojetting:
- Hydrojetting provides deep cleaning that a professional snake cannot accomplish.
- Hydrojetting offers a variety of spray options, which means it can be adjusted to safely accommodate your pipes.
- Hydrojetting not only clears your pipes but also cleans out the bacteria that can settle in them and result in foul odors and worse.
- Hydrojetting is economical because it can leave your pipes running smoothly into the future – without the need for more invasive and costly measures.
- Because it doesn’t employ any toxic chemicals, hydorjetting is also environmentally friendly.
If Fats, Oils, and Grease are Clogging Your Pipes, Contact an Experienced Boca Raton Plumber Today
The fats associated with food preparation can wreak havoc on your pipes, but the Boca Raton Plumbing professionals at Erica’s Plumbing and Restoration in Boca Raton are here for you. We offer hydrojetting services that can blast through the toughest fat, oil, and grease buildups. In fact, many local homeowners and insurance companies prefer our professional services. For more information, please contact or call us at 561-245-7435 today.