No one relishes the idea of calling in a plumber. If you have a plumbing emergency, however, it’s a no brainer. When it comes to smaller repairs that are easier to make, you may be tempted to put off calling in the professionals, but this plan of inaction is not in you or your home’s best interests. There are several proactive steps you can take to help extend the life of your plumbing system and to minimize the cost of any plumbing repairs that do become necessary.
Inspect Your Plumbing System Regularly
Take it upon yourself to inspect your plumbing system with each change in the season. This will provide you with a built in schedule to check out the plumbing in your home or office yourself. Although we don’t experience huge fluctuations in temperature here in Coral Springs, we still witness some beautiful changes in the seasons; let them be your guide. There are several checkpoints you should include in your inspection:
- Flush toilets in infrequently used bathrooms
- Turn on every faucet and allow each to flow freely for a few seconds
- Check any exposed pipes for cracks, wear, and/or small leaks
- Be aware of changes in your plumbing and note any plumbing sounds you may hear
Taking the time to check out your plumbing can alert you to minor plumbing problems before they turn into majorly expensive plumbing emergencies. The better you get to know your plumbing system, the sooner you’ll know when there’s a plumbing problem brewing.
Schedule Regular Professional Maintenance
The best way to extend the life of your plumbing system is to schedule regular maintenance with an experienced Coral Springs plumber. An ounce of prevention, as the saying goes, is nearly always worth a pound of cure. With regularly scheduled maintenance, you’ll gain the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your plumbing is well tended and that you are less likely to have any plumbing surprises. Scheduling regular professional plumbing maintenance will likely save you money in the long run.
Prevent Clogs from Happening in the First Place
The majority of plumbing emergencies are caused by clogged drains, but there’s a lot you can do to help prevent clogs from forming in the first place:
- Use drain traps in your bathtubs and showers. All that hair that your family shampoos away can lead to a drain disaster. Drain traps come in a variety of styles, sizes, and finishes, so pick up the traps that work for you and use them religiously.
- Toilets are meant to accommodate nothing other than what they’re used for and toilet paper. While flushable wipes are marketed as flushable, they’re only slightly more biodegradable than other kinds of wipes, and they have no business landing in your toilet. Stick to the nothing-but-toilet-paper rule.
- Never, ever pour hot grease down your sink. Just because grease is in liquid form doesn’t mean that it belongs in your drain. As the fat hardens, it adheres to your pipes’ inner walls and can lead to terrible clogs that are exceedingly difficult to remove.
- Use your garbage disposal as it’s meant to be used, and don’t send anything down it that you shouldn’t. This includes egg shells, fruit and vegetable peelings, bones, and pasta. When it’s time to freshen your disposal, skip the lemon peel and pour down a mixture of white vinegar and a bit of baking soda instead.
Maximize Your Plumber’s Visit
If you have a plumbing problem that necessitates the professional services of an experienced Coral Springs plumber, maximize the service visit by combining services (if, for example, there’s a niggling plumbing problem with which you’ve been putting off dealing). Further, ask your plumbing professional to show you the ropes regarding tips and tricks that can help you keep your plumbing in tiptop shape. Also, if you don’t know how to turn off the water to your home at the main source, now’s a good time to ask. Finally, by preparing for your plumber ahead of time and making sure that he or she has quick and direct access to the necessary areas of your home can save you both time. Your plumber is there to help, so make the most of the visit.
An Experienced Coral Springs Plumber Can Help You Extend the Life of Your Plumbing System
Putting a bit of care and attention into keeping your plumbing running smoothly can save you time, money, and inconvenience in the long run. The dedicated plumbing professionals at Erica’s Plumbing and Restoration in Coral Springs are here to help you extend the life of the plumbing system in your home or office. For more information, please contact or call us at 561-275-5688 today.
Erica's Plumbing, Air Conditioning and Restoration
Phone: (561) 275-5688